14B District Court
Monday - Friday, 8:30am – 12:00pm and 1:00pm - 4:30pm
The Court is closed in observance of all legal holidays.
John B. Collins 14B District Court
7200 S. Huron River Dr. Ypsilanti, MI 48197
The John B. Collins 14B District Court processes all cases arising in Ypsilanti Township. The 14B District Court is one of three district courts in Washtenaw County that process:
- Criminal misdemeanors where the penalty is less than 1 year in jail
- Civil infractions such as traffic tickets and dog licensing violations
- Municipal civil infractions such as property maintenance code and zoning violations
- Civil cases where the claim amount is $25,000 or less
- Apply for Waiver of Filing Fees in a civil case (not applicable to traffic or criminal cases)
- Landlord/Tenant cases
- NOTICE to all parties to Landlord Tenant Summary Proceeding Cases: The 14-B District Court has been granted an extension by SCAO to implement the amendments for MCR 4.201. A 30-day extension was granted, and the new implementation date will be December 6, 2023. Until that date or as further advised by the 14-B District Court, matters governed by MCR 4.201 will be processed and heard as they have been prior to the amendment of the court rule.
- If you are facing challenges paying your rent, contact the following as soon as possible before your court date:
- Small Claims cases
- Potential Jurors - Update your address and phone number, respond to your summons, or find out what date you are to report by accessing Jury Online Response & Reporting Schedule.
If you have been instructed by the court to provide your contact information you may use the Contact Information Sheet.
Prior to your first court hearing you will need to read and fill out an Advice of Rights Form.
- Online Warrant Review
- Probation Reporting
- Pre-Sentence Interview Packet
- Financial Statement/Payment Request
- MiCourt Case Search
- Michigan Legal Help
Honorable Judge Erane C. Washington
14B District Court Judge
Erane C. Washington was elected Judge of the 14B District Court, situated in Ypsilanti Township, on November 4, 2020. Prior to her election, her career was varied; she served as an Assistant Public Defender for the Washtenaw County Public Defender’s Office for seven years from 1994 until 2001 and was then recruited by then Chief Judge of Washtenaw Circuit Court, Judge Donald E. Shelton to become his Judicial Attorney. After working with Judge Shelton for six years, she left public service to start her own law practice. She handled a multitude of case types, including but not limited to criminal defense, general civil, probate, and real estate until taking the bench on January 1, 2021.
Judge Washington is a proud graduate of the James Madison Residential College located at Michigan State University (Class of 1985) where she studied Justice, Morality and Constitutional Democracy. She graduated from the University of Michigan Law School in 1993.
Judge Washington has resided in Ypsilanti Township for almost 30 years, along with her husband Anthony; both sons attended Lincoln Schools. She currently serves as an elected State Bar of Michigan Commissioner, Board of Director for the Huron Valley Habitat for Humanity and is a member of the Vanzetti Hamilton Bar Association and Business and Professional Women’s Club.
Judge Washington is the Chief Judge of the 14B District Court and presides over Landlord-Tenant, Criminal, and General Civil matters, while managing the Recovery and Human Trafficking Court and a Domestic Violence specialty docket.
View 14B District Court Proceedings: Judge Erane C. Washington
Magistrate/Court Administrator Mark Nelson
14B District Court Magistrate
Mark Nelson was appointed Magistrate of the 14B District Court at the beginning of Judge Pope’s first term in 2009. After 3 years of service as a part-time Magistrate, he was appointed to the position of Magistrate/Court Administrator and came to work full time for the 14-B District Court. Prior to being appointed Magistrate, he was an attorney in private practice maintaining an office in downtown Ypsilanti. Magistrate Nelson has resided in the Ypsilanti community most of his life. He is a graduate of Ypsilanti High School. He earned his bachelor's degree from DePauw University and his law degree from Saint Louis University. He and his wife Kerri reside in Ypsilanti Township and have one son attending Lincoln Schools.
Magistrate Nelson assists the Michigan Judicial Institute with training of new magistrates by hosting them in his courtroom for observation and practical training. In addition, he contributed to editing of the most recent version of the Michigan District Court Magistrate Manual. He also currently serves on the board of the Michigan Association of District Court Magistrates.
As Court Administrator, Magistrate Nelson has advanced the Court’s technology and has been instrumental in acquiring grants for the Drug Court specialty docket. In 2012, Magistrate Nelson oversaw the Court’s conversion from its outdated case management computer system to the state standard for case management, the Judicial Information System. This allows online payment of tickets and automated upload of citations from law enforcement agencies among other benefits to the Court and the public. In 2013 the Court applied for and was awarded grant money to deal with drug addiction and human trafficking. This docket has been very successful since its inception.
View 14B District Court Proceedings: Magistrate Mark Nelson